Duties and Taxes
We are experts in understanding all North American and European Union regulations affecting duties and taxes and their application to a particular transaction. This understanding allows us to best structure a transaction, its timing and sequence in order to minimize both current and future costs. This includes documentation, European Union VAT avoidance, export timing, temporary storage and import planning. No other single source has as thorough an understanding of the matters affecting your purchase or sale of a vehicle from outside your home country and the ability to assess and recommend the correct course of action.
WARNING: Before buying any vehicle for import/export contact us. How you structure your purchase, prepare your documents and route your transport all affects your costs both now and in the future – including taxes, resale value and available resale markets. United States Customs and Border Protection warns not to buy any imported or re-imported vehicle without the correct documentation and paperwork. Vehicles could be subject to forfeiture and destroyed. You also may not be able to title or register your vehicle in any state in the United States.
Contact us about
United States considerations including:
- Avoiding Value Added Taxes on European Union purchases
- Paperwork structuring to minimize United States duties
- Paperwork structuring for United States titling and registration without title bond
- Obtaining vehicle title in the United States without paying taxes
- United States pre-export titling for non residents to avoid United States duties on re-import
- Re-import of United States export vehicles to minimize United States duties
- Re-import of Rest of World vehicles to minimize United States duties
European Union considerations including:
- European Union VAT country by country application
- European import duties country by country application
- European Union VAT avoidance strategies for United States and Japan imports
- Duty and tax strategies for Switzerland temporary and long term storage
- Paperwork structuring to avoid European Union VAT on re-import of European Union vehicles
A simple mistake can cost tens of thousands of dollars in import costs, duties, VAT, and state taxes – can prevent importation of a vehicle altogether – or substantially lower a vehicles value.